Visiting students are welcome to apply for an exchange period through their study abroad coordinator at their home university. We can only accept applications from students from our partner universities, so please check with your home university if there is an exchange contract with HU.
If you wish to study at HU as an exchange student, please follow the steps as mentioned below:
- Ask your coordinator at your home university to send us your nomination.
- After we receive your nomination from your home university, we will send you our application guide.
- Please follow the instructions in the application guide in order to prepare your documents and submit your online application before the deadline (see below). Students who need a visa to study in the Netherlands will also need to send extra documents to our university.
- Within a few weeks after the application deadline has passed, we will review your application. When your application is complete and we have received all required documents in good order, you will receive an official acceptance letter and can start preparing all practical matters regarding your stay in Utrecht.
- Fall semester (starting September): 1st of May
- Spring semester (starting February: 1st of November
As part of the application procedure you will need to upload a Learning Agreement outlining your course selection at HU, with both the exchange programme of your choice and the courses it contains. The document needs to be signed by you and your coordinator at your home university. In the downloads below you can find the HU learning agreement. You may also use your home institution’s format. Please note that some exchange programmes have different courses you can choose from, these also need to be outlined on the learning agreement.
A sufficient level of academic English is a condition for academic success in the English-taught courses and programmes. Please check our language requirements page for more information.